miércoles, 9 de diciembre de 2009

British Sense of Humour


I remember when I was a kid at school and teachers made us study the countries of Europe and the whole world with their capital cities. I always liked geography although it was tough.
When I studied all those names, most of them didn’t mean very much to me, they were just names that I should memorize. But others automatically brought something to my mind. Italy reminded me of the cuadriga fightings and the Roman coliseum, all the Caesars and all the movies. When I heard about the US it was the New York skyscrapers, the statue of Liberty or their western movies. France stood for the Eiffel tower and those moustached bohemian painters drawing beautiful pictures at those enormous green gardens near the tower. If we talk about Portugal, towels, blankets, and those typical cocks that forecast the weather through the colour of its wings –I still have one-.

And what about Britain? Yes. When I thought of Britain the image of those series of Thames Television coming from England with the river Thames and its music of the Big Ben sounding is what I clearly associated Britain with. After that came The Roper’s or Benny Hill. So different of those other luxurious, opulent ones coming from the states: Dallas – J.R. was so evil- Dinastía, Falcon Crest, etc… I remember with affection those nights of the 80’s while having dinner with my parents and little sister we had a fantastic time with George and Mildred. Their natural grace was boosted by the Galician dubbing, I think much more suited for comedy than Castilian. Later came Benny Hill, Os Novos –I don’t know the original name was- or Mr. Bean. If they say you may know a country for their sense of humour, then if you see these series of my childhood you´ll notice that Britons are really serious reliable people but with an enormous capability to make a fool of themselves.

1 comentario: